Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum dedicated to the works and world of AJ Culpepper.

PortalHomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Dragons

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Rabbit
Adventurer
Rabbit

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Dragons   Dragons EmptyTue Nov 06, 2012 4:25 pm

I like dragons. I read a lot and have found that they are not as common in literature as one might think and when they are, they almost always have the same design and function. Why are Eastern Dragons so rare in fantasy works? And Norse Dragons and sea dragons/serpents? Dragons in fantasy literature are almost always based on the Medieval European / Saint George tradition. Even the famed Dungeons and Dragons game typifies dragons along those lines with subtle variations, if any at all.

Having said this, I'd like to discuss dragons.
Back to top Go down
Alaryah Dalca
Grand Master
Alaryah Dalca

Location : Depths of Hell...no really or you may know it as Arizona!

Character sheet
Name:
Race:
Class:

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 1:39 am

Oh, I adore dragons! Even my email address says so! Wink I call my 3 kids my little dragons tho the oldest is quite mean and obnoxious at times my other two for now are very happy loving dragons...lol!

I will say when it comes to dragons I do favor "European" medieval types and I believe that is due to the fact I love fantasy novels and generally those are the types that are represented. I think that the only reason we don't see Eastern Dragons very often in fantasy is because many fantasy books are based on ancient myths and legends of the west and not of the east. Eastern cultures have very different views that are not as widely known as some of the western cultures. Being from Hawaii also being a well traveled Air Force brat I will say I had the best of both worlds. Hawaii is rich in our own culture but also heavily influenced by Asian cultures and in my travels I got hooked on Greek mythology which in turn fueled my love of fantasy even more. I could go on and on but I will let someone else comment. I too am interested in what others think? Smile

Hmmm...Eastern Dragons in a Western/European fantasy. Fascinating idea, I may have to run with that! Wink
Back to top Go down
Dot
Grand Master
Dot

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyWed Nov 07, 2012 12:39 pm

I love dragons! I like dragons from Eastern tradition, as I love the stories of Chinese and Japanese mythology. But I'd have to say my favorites (from stories) are those from Persian and Near Eastern (like Russian and Indian mythology). For example, Zirnitra (of the Wends) and Zilant of Kazan. Or Zahhak of Iran.

I never really noticed it until you mentioned it, Rabbit, but you're right. There's such a rich and varied history of dragons and no one really uses that. Even Norse dragons are never really brought into modern fantasy. Modern fantasy uses the same kind all the time.
Back to top Go down
Rabbit
Adventurer
Rabbit

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyMon Nov 19, 2012 7:27 am

One of my favorite dragons that I always thought would be great in fantasy is the Nidhogg.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Grand Master
Dot

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 12:46 am

K, hate to show my stupidity but, Nidhogg?
Back to top Go down
Rabbit
Adventurer
Rabbit

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyMon Dec 03, 2012 2:29 pm

In Norse mythology, Níðhöggr (Malice Striker, often anglicized Nidhogg) is a dragon who gnaws at a root of the World Tree, Yggdrasill. In the mythology, the Nidhogg is said to be controlled by only one person, the Norse goddess named Hel. It is one of the more fascinating creatures found in Scandinavian culture.

http://www.pantheon.org/articles/n/nidhogg.html

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/N%C3%AD%C3%B0h%C3%B6ggr

Back to top Go down
Dot
Grand Master
Dot

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyTue Dec 11, 2012 8:22 am

Oh cool! So Nidhogg isn't the same monster as Jorgumund (sp?). At first I was thinking they were just two names for the same thing.
Back to top Go down
Rabbit
Adventurer
Rabbit

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyTue Dec 18, 2012 5:08 am

No, two different dragons. One lives beneathe Yggdrasil (the World Tree) the other surrounds Midgard.

Jörmungandr
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B6rmungandr
Back to top Go down
Dot
Grand Master
Dot

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptySat Dec 22, 2012 9:01 am

Neat! Thanks for the link, Rabbit.

So do you study Norse mythos? Or is it just a hobby?
Back to top Go down
Rabbit
Adventurer
Rabbit

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyThu Jan 03, 2013 7:45 am

@Dot
You are welcome.

I took Scandinavian Mythology/Heritage at university. But it is also a hobby for me. A very intense interest.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Grand Master
Dot

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyMon Jan 07, 2013 10:40 am

That's neat! Saw this and thought you might like!

Dragons Nidhoe10
Back to top Go down
Rabbit
Adventurer
Rabbit

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyMon Jan 28, 2013 6:54 am

That is a great picture. Thank you, Dot.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Grand Master
Dot

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyThu Jan 31, 2013 1:20 pm

You're welcome, Rabbit! Smile
Back to top Go down
Rabbit
Adventurer
Rabbit

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyWed Feb 27, 2013 7:21 am

Dragons 010

Fafnir, in Nordic mythology, name of the great dragon slain by Sigurd, the Norse version of the German hero Siegfried. As told in the Völsunga saga (“Saga of the Volsungs”), Fafnir slew his father, Hreithmar, to obtain the vast amount of gold which Hreithmar had demanded of Odin as a compensation for the loss of one of his sons. Odin gave the gold but put a curse on it. Full of greed, Fafnir changed into a dragon to guard his treasure and was later slain by the young hero Sigurd. Sigurd was spurred on by another brother of Fafnir, the blacksmith Regin. Once Sigurd, under the advice of Odin, had killed Fafnir, Regin asked him to cook the dragon’s heart for him. Sigurd touched the heart as it was cooking to test if it was done and burned his thumb. He put his thumb into his mouth and was then able to understand the language of birds. (In this tale, knowledge is given to one who eats the heart of a dragon.) The birds told Sigurd that it was Regin’s intention to kill him, so instead Sigurd killed Regin and left with Fafnir’s treasure.
Back to top Go down
Dot
Grand Master
Dot

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyMon Mar 18, 2013 7:36 am

Not to show my stupidity or anything, but isn't this the story Wagner's opera is based on?
Back to top Go down
Rabbit
Adventurer
Rabbit

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons EmptyWed Mar 27, 2013 11:38 am

I believe the opera you're referring to is Der Ring des Nibelungen, a cycle of four epic operas by the German composer Richard Wagner. The works are based loosely on characters from the Norse sagas and the Nibelungenlied of which the Saga of the Volsungs is counted.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Dragons Empty
PostSubject: Re: Dragons   Dragons Empty

Back to top Go down

Dragons
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: General :: Fantasy-
Jump to: